Learn how to get the Building Code Effectiveness Grading Schedule classification for a structure in Washington state.
In this article, you'll find answers to the following questions:
- What is a BCEGS classification?
- What information do I need to have to search for a BCEGS classification?
- How do I find the BCEGS classification for a specific address?
What is a BCEGS classification?
A Building Code Effectiveness Grading Schedule (BCEGS) classification indicates how effective and up-to-date a community's building codes are. It also indicates how well the community enforces its building codes. The classification process emphasizes building-code requirements that help prevent or mitigate property losses related to natural hazards, such as earthquake, windstorm or hail.
Scores range from 1 to 10, with 1 representing exemplary commitment to building code enforcement and 10 representing no recognizable building code enforcement.
For more information about BCEGS, click here.
What information do I need to search for a BCEGS classification?
You need two pieces of information:
- A specific address (street number or name, city and ZIP code).
- The year a certificate of occupancy was issued or a final construction inspection was completed for the building in question.
How do I find the BCEGS classification for a specific address?
2. In the menu bar at the top of the screen, click on Protection.
3. You will see the search screen.
4. The "Search Option" box will default to "Address Search." Leave it on this default setting.
5. Enter the street address, city and ZIP code.
6. Select the BCEGS Year: this is the year the certificate of occupancy was issued or a final construction inspection occurred for the building in question. Note: 1997 is the earliest year a BCEGS classification of 1 through 10 is available. However, for many communities, the earliest year a BCEGS classification of 1 through 10 is available is later than 1997. For more information, click here.
7. Click on "Search."
8. You'll see the results screen. Here, we've used the address 2101 4th Ave., Seattle, WA, 98121 and the BCEGS year 2018.
9. Click on "BCEGS Scores," which is below the Location Search Results and the Classification Results boxes.
10. A new box will appear below "BCEGS Scores" showing the score for dwellings (DW Code) and for commercial properties (CL Code).
We're always striving to improve. If this article didn't answer your question, please let us know.